Financial Aid LinksNOTE: SCHEV does not endorse non-SCHEV sites behind these links.
SCHEV provides them for your information and/or additional research.
IMPORTANT VIRGINIA WEBSITES:
- Virginia College Savings Plan - Learn how to save for college using an IRC Section 529 qualified state tuition program with both prepaid and savings trust investment options.
- Virginia Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (VASFAA) - Questions answered, links, and resource ideas from Virginia’s financial aid professionals.
- Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia - Information about Virginia’s private colleges and universities.
- Commonwealth of Virginia: Financial Aid Page - Links and resources.
- Virginia Army National Guard - Information about tuition assistance.
KEY U.S. GOVERNMENT WEBSITES:
- Federal Student Financial Aid Homepage - Available federal programs, how to apply, and resource guide for federal students loans.
- Student Guide - The complete guide to Federal Student Financial Aid.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) - On-line application!
- PIN Web Site - Obtain your own Personal Identification Number (PIN) for federal student aid on this government website.
- COOL - National Center for Education Statistics’ College Opportunities Online Locater.
- Federal HOPE Scholarship and Lifetime Learning Credits - Find out about what is available and how to qualify for federal tax relief.
- Information on Scholarship Scams from the Federal Trade Commission - the warning signs, where you can get help, and other useful information.
- Office of the Inspector General - Information on how to report financial aid fraud, scams, and misuse of federal funds.
- Students.gov "Student Gateway to the U.S. Government". The student’s “homepage” for U.S. Government services.
- National Student Loan Data System - Look up and find out the status of your student loan and PELL grant.
- Student Loan Facts for Consumers
- Federal Trade Commission’s “Student Loans: Avoiding Deceptive Offers”
- NCES College Navigator - A US government site that allows future students to evaluate and compare institutions’ prices, financial aid, enrollment fees and academic disciplines.
- Paying Back Your Federal Student Loan - How to determine if you are eligible for a loan deferment or cancellation. Also, teacher service options, closed school information, and what to do about defaulted federal student loans.
- OFSA Ombudsman - For Information on the Resolution of Federal Student Loan Disputes - For Information on the Resolution of Federal Student Loan Disputes.
- D.C. Tuition Assistance Grant (DC TAG) Program - Information and how to apply to this program for DC residents attending colleges and universities across the country.
- Federal Trade Commission - Consumer Rights during Debt Collection (click on "Debt Collection")
HELPFUL WEBSITES TO ASSIST IN YOUR
SEARCH FOR FINANCIAL AID:
- FinAid! Financial Aid Calculators - Calculators to help you project college costs, budget your savings, and estimate your financial need.
- Education Finance Council - Financial Literacy
- Information for Financial Aid Professionals - IFAP is a site for financial aid professionals, banks, lenders, institutions and guarantee agencies.